- Professional name: Keir Thomas
- Actual name: Keir Thomas-Bryant (thanks to marriage)
- Age: In the middle, sadly.
- Occupation: Writer, of various kinds.
Here’s my career so far in the space of 10 sentences. If you want full career details, visit my LinkedIn page.
- Started my career as a staff member on computer magazines during the boom period.
- Went on to edit computer magazines over the space of over half a decade.
- Went on to write best-selling computer textbooks about Linux and Apple technologies. One of my books won an award! I was a textbooks commissioning editor for a while too.
- Wrote and then self-published Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference, which would go on to be downloaded over a million times.
- Worked as a professional blogger. One of the blogs I wrote is a footnote in computing history because it inspired the person behind BitCoin to go into hiding and never speak again.
- Did LOTS of freelance journalism and blogging for various magazines and sites. See my LinkedIn – there’s a portfolio PDF hosted there.
- Started a “professional hobby”: Formed a poetry publishing company in Manchester, UK that published several anthologies of local poets, amongst other things.
- Decided it was time to earn a decent living, and switched careers to content marketing at one of the UK’s largest software companies.
- Throughout everything, have been writing novels and sitcoms with a hope of this being a professional endeavour at some point.
Note that my professional name is Keir Thomas, but you might see me listed as Keir Thomas-Bryant. That’s my married name as of 2015.